Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Practice

You have heard it said that to get better at an art (or something you love) you must practice. We all know this saying to be true. We've experienced the results. But what about the things you that you love and you seek to fully master? What must you do then?

Practice will help, but is practice alone enough? I'm not talking about learning a new skill just for the sake of learning it. Oh no, I mean actually mastering something.

I have not lived long, but my experience has taught me that those who are truly masters in their area of expertise do more than practice. Take musicians for instance. Musicians do not just practice. Do they ever practice? Sure, all of the time. And you're thinking to yourself, "Okay, AO, now you are just contradicting yourself." Hold on, I'm not done (remember I'm undone). Great musicians don't just practice, they live their music. Jazz is probably where you see this best displayed. As I have heard it said, "In jazz, the music tells the story. It sets the plot. You don't have to listen long to hear the story. " This happens because Jazz players don't just practice... they live their music.

Same is true of anyone who's really mastered something. Whether it be a sport, a hobby, or useful skill (like complex mathematical equations), the masters don't just practice they breathe, eat, sleep, and live their passion, their art... yeah their life.

For me that's teaching. People have asked, why do you study so much when you teach. I'm not one of those who just wants to get by. I study to the point that what I am learning and what I in turn will teach is in my skin. It's a natural part of who I am. I shouldn't just tell you believe I what I'm telling you. I should believe it. You, yourself, may not be convinced, but one thing for sure, you should be convinced I believe if I'm the one teaching. My preaching professor and father in the ministry (Dr. Robert Smith) always says, "You gotta live with the text. You should wake up in the morning and the text you're teaching should be lying next to you. You sit down to eat and it should be sitting across from you. Your text should be your constant companion."

So my challenge to you... You say you want to be good at something... really good. Then you have to ask yourself a real question? Am I just practicing? Or am I living my art?

Live it!

1 comment:

Mikey said...

Nice practice! Ever heard the saying "cursed with the gift of potential"? My "promising future" turned into 15 + years of pain and therapy that is yet to unlock the writer's block that envelopes me. Twitter works; not much pressure in 140 characters ;-) Writers write. Everyone else is just a hack (including self here)