Saturday, March 13, 2010

A Look into My Life (Social Media Style)

As I have been reflecting on the recent birth of my daughter, I cannot get over how social media and modern technology allowed me the opportunity to share the life-changing event with my community. I got to enjoy the full experience of watching the miracle of life and yet got to keep family and friends in the loop as events occurred.

After making the realization that my community got share in the moment, my heart was immediately warmed and I knew I was a part of something bigger than myself and the moment. I was connected to loved ones even though I was completely caught up in the moment.

People were able to meet my precious girl almost moments after she first entered the world, even though they were no where near the event. AT&T probably felt a measurable SMS and MMS surge as text message flew in and out of my phone all day. I lit up my Twitter and Facebook feeds all day. I posted pictures and updates as quickly as humanly possible. My feeds were a stream of consciousness as I watched my life-change before my eyes. My mind and heart exploded onto social media and my community got to be a part if they so choose.

Why do I find this happening interesting you ask? In my honest opinion, I found a way to involve others into my life and my life-changing event without missing a thing. It also revealed to me how much people I am connected to care and want to be involved in my life. I don't want to down play the importance of actual interaction with others, but this was as close as many I know could get and I was happy to have them there.

How has social media and/or technology impacted your life?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you seeking your information.