Tuesday, June 8, 2010

It's Not Just Retail

Today, as I drove to work, I found myself unconsolably excited. Sure, going to work meant leaving my precious daughter and her infectious smiles for the day, but I have to work. Nonetheless, days like today make it all worth it.

I work at a retail store for a fruity company. Today, we made a rather significant announcement about a product we sell that turns out is wildly popular or at least has been 3 times before today's announcement. However, anytime our fruity company makes an announcement about something new there never ceases to be a tremendous amount of excitement and sheer curiosity at the workplace.

I arrived to work right as the big announcement presentation was beginning. All the employees were focused on the liveblogs that were providing minute by minute updates of our fearless leader's comments and actions. Work was getting done efficiently and effectively, however, everyone's attention was on a conference in a land not so far away, on a stage, where one man would reveal one product. With bated breath, we all watched and waited for the official announcement. I can't even begin to tell you what joy fills my soul experiencing grown men and women act as giddy as little kids on Christmas morning. I realize very few things make adults act in such childish ways, but our company bring out the kid in us often. I love it.

After almost two hours of waiting and hoping, our dreams were fully realized. The announcement that could be heard round the world finally hit our ears. We read it, we heard it and we were beside ourselves. We celebrated, we coveted, we laughed, we hi-fived, we gawked, we smiled, we filled with pride, but most importantly we all believed. Great day to be at work. What we do is not just retail. We are a part of something bigger, something better. We are a family. A family that truly does think different and is different. I am thankful to be a part.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After reading your blog I think you are right. It sounds more like worship.

"We read it, we heard it and we were beside ourselves. We celebrated, we coveted, we laughed, we hi-fived, we gawked, we smiled, we filled with pride, but most importantly we all believed."

Rick Garner