Thursday, February 19, 2009

Freedom

As I watched the graphic novel turned movie, 300, a quote struck me. As King Leonidas wrestles with the decision to go and break the Greek law he swore to protect and honor, his wife, the queen, counters him with a powerful line: "It is not a question of what a Spartan citizen should do, or a husband, or a king. It's to ask yourself, dearest love... What should a free man do?" What should a free man do?

In reality, most of us can can't ask ourselves the question Leonidas' queen asks. Why? I am so glad you asked. You see, the majority of us, do not accept freedom. We love our bondage. Our bondage may be simple and petty, but in many cases it keeps us grounded. One's bondage could be something blatant like illegal drugs or murder. Or it could be something as innocent as the occasional slip of the tongue or mere self-righteousness. It could be an action we feel gives us the power to "stick it to the man" or a sheer act of unequivocal disobedience. It could be nothing more than gluttony or plain laziness. It may be unmentionable or down-right despicable. It could appear justified and valiant, but wrongly motivated all the same. But one typically does not have to dig deep to find their chains. I will say it again, most of us prefer them.

But why, I ask. What about our chains, our bondage is so inviting? Why do we find our defiance of freedom so tantalizing? Are we afraid of the rush we will find in freedom? Do we fear the unknown and the unpredictable to the point we will endure torture and shame? I warn you, friend... it is unneccessary. Take it from one who has tasted freedom. NO, I do not mean a free country, where you are bound by often times unseemingly senseless laws and even logical, necessary ones. I mean real freedom. Freedom from detestable self-bonding chains. Freedom that exhilirates the mind, the heart, and the spirit. Freedom that eliminates shame, guilt, and oh yeah security.

Believe it friends. The freedom I speak of is far from safe. It will cost you. How much you ask? Well probably everything but that's really nothing. Life is all any one has and the freedom of which I speak provides you with life in an overflowing, never-ending reservoir of life. But you have to ask yourself a real question... I am ready to truly live? I am ready to be totally free? I explicitly warn you not to accept an offer to life and freedom unless you are ready give up your bondage. Because, oh by the way, you will be asked to leave it at the check-in desk before you crossover.

If you are ready to live, then follow me. The preceeding line is not a call from AO. That prhase came from the mouth of Christ as he spoke to his disciples. That's what Christ said to me. That's what Christ says to you. Oh yeah, He's talking to you, kid! If you are ready to discover and explore and what a free man should do, then join me in the journey. The good news remains, we do not have to answer the quetion alone. I encourage you brothers and sisters alike, if you are ready to live or just desire to know more leave a comment, email me (brotherao@gmail.com), pull me aside, get my attention, just let me know. P.S. You have been warned.

1 comment:

Jeff Flowers said...

WAO
I'm getting caught up on my reading tonight. I would love for you to put this in a Bible Study format. We hear this word, or really, idea of "freedom" in our circles all the time. However, we just don't know how it applies, or, if it's even relevant to our lives. Again, this is one of those crazy paradoxes of the spiritual life...