Sunday, March 29, 2009

Bankruptcy

In our current economic crisis, bankruptcy will be the unfortunate choice for many. Businesses as well as individuals will fall victim to having more debt than they have credit. The American society(in general) drank from the cup of plenty, but apparently the cup is no longer full. Perhaps this is good, perhaps not. Time will tell the story. Nonetheless, I would like to speak to another economic crisis, if I may... a spiritual crisis.

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 5:3

Many will say this is a ridiculous saying and I would not argue. In the American mind (mine included), saying the word "poor" is like saying any of the other dirty little four letter words. We know and understand when people use such language they obviously mean business and/or desire to catch your attention. POOR!

Most of us do not fully understand this word. We have no clue what it means to have nothing. Literally, be unable to make payments, meet needs, so on and so forth. Destitution is a condition we see on commercials, where people are asking us to stand in the gap. But yet here, as Jesus speaks directly to his disciples (in Greek, "learner") and less to directly to the crowds (seen in Matthew's gospel as curious, but disinterested bystanders) says plainly and candidly "You will be happy and content when you declare spiritual bankruptcy."

In most instances of bankruptcy there are still financial responsibilities. The beauty in this instance is the one who comes to collect what is owed, pays your debt for you. In our selfish, backbiting, over-indulgent, unrelenting and unlovable state, the one whom we turn against pursues after us. What foolishness! In our current spiritual state, we owe more than we can pay. Needless to say, we let our eyes overload our stomachs. We to some extent unknowingly have bought lies, deceptions, and manipulation. Believing we could have it all, safety, security, luxury, and success, but in the end regardless of what we perceive to have, we ultimately have nothing. Yes, we are poor in spirit. The creditors are coming, they will cash in. They will take what you don't have and make you pay the price. The wages of sin are death, but the gift of grace is eternal life. Paul uses our language. We always want the bottom line. Well there you have it.

But you have a choice. Recognize your pitiful, decrepit state. Accept that you are poor and destitute. Embrace it actually. Declare your bankruptcy to the King, Jesus Christ. At that moment He will make you whole. There you will find not only your debts paid in full, but a kingdom. A kingdom where life is abundant, hope is the currency, mercy rains down like an spring shower, grace abounds, and you are without burden. There you will find the one who took your debt upon Himself. I don't know about you but when someone pays on my behalf, I am grateful. Imagine an eternity of gratefulness, where the one you are grateful toward is equally grateful toward you. There you will experience true love and grace.

Oh, I declare I am bankrupt. I am destitute and desperate. I am the worst of the worst. I live in the depths of debt spiritually. I have turned with reckless abandon toward my own selfish desires. Sin is my nature and my desire. Oh God! I am a complete wreck. I am damaged goods. Hear my cry, I am poor. I say it again, I am totally bankrupt. I can't be trusted with your kingdom, but yet somehow I know you will entrust it to me and any of other poor fool who gives ourselves away to you. I do not understand your love or your grace, but I seek to embrace them. Father, keep my mind wrapped around my bankruptcy so that I may depend solely on your provisions and there be room enough in me to receive them. In Christ Jesus' name, Amen.

1 comment: