Friday, January 2, 2009

Reflection on Wall-e

I recently watched the recent Pixar movie, Wall-e. I know I am way behind in my movie watching. I confess up front that I am a sucker when it comes to Pixar films. My imterest with Pixar could be linked to my fascination with Steve Jobs (owns a large share of Pixar and runs Apple), or my creative side tingles when watching great animation and storytelling, or it could simply be I refuse to fully surrender being a kid. Who knows the real reason.

The movie begins with little to no dialogue. But the creative genius used in the film keeps you from even noticing. I found myself completely wrapped up in this little robot who for some odd reason collected odds and ends of garabage. From his robotic perspective the garabage produced an endless realm of treasures.

I can't help but believe Yahweh feels the same about us. Not that creation is garabage, but we've certainly help make it that way. But yet our creator who limited himself to come and clean it up finds earth as a place where his treasures are found. Not just things but beings that fascinate him much like Wall-e's treasures.

The other thing that really got me... Wall-e's desire for relationship. All he wanted (as much as a robot is able to want, go figure) was a touch, a relationship. Wall-e constantly watched a video segment from Hello Dolly, where the couple hold hands. This became his passion, his one desire, his sole purpose. All of sudden, out of no where another robot enters the scene. Just the potential of relationship sent Wall-e into a frenzy. He was as you say, beside himself.

I continued to be amazed when I saw what lengths Wall-e went to to sustain the relationship. You really have to have seen the movie here to understand. Wall-e takes seriously the concept of going the extra mile. The moment Wall-e gets what he wanted an eruption of emotion took place. I thoroughly enjoyed the way Pixar creatively demonstrated pure joy without a single word. Rocked my world for sure.

Now of course the movie points out other issues like responsibility, laziness, and the advancement of technology. Nonetheless, I attached to the underlying stuff as I often do.

If you haven't seen the movie, do so. If you have seen it watch it again or just share your comments. Perhaps one day we will plant pizza plants. Laugh, but I'm serious.

No comments: