Friday, January 2, 2009

Resolutions

About resolutions... Resolutions and I go way back. That's right all the way back to last year. As I reflect on the resolutions I made just last year, I can verify that I followed through on one. Now, of the three I made that's pretty spectacular. In baseball terms, that means I hit for an average of .333. That's a solid year. But it's not perfect. What's the problem?

Well, I have decided that perhaps I make too many resolutions. I know, three doesn't sound like an overwhelming task, but when you compound three resolutions over the span of a year... well it gets difficult. So, I am resolving to only have one resolution. I figure only having one resolution increases my probability of success. But it also increases my chances at failure. However, I hear the encouraging words of my mentor resounding in the background... DO NOT FEAR FAILURE. These words come from a man who does not fear failure. He recently uprooted his family and moved them several hundred miles north. He left extended family, friends, security, community, and a way of life to follow in obedience to the call and cause of Christ. I believe its safe to take his advice.

All that to bring me to my resolution. In 2009, I resolve to be intentional. I will intentionally annoy my mother-in-law (j/k). Seriously, I will intentionally hope. I will intentionally love. I will intentionally live. I will intentionally try. I will intentionally work hard. I will intentionally forgive. I will intentionally listen. I will intentionally read. I will intentionally learn. I will intentionally be bold. I will intentionally be... AO.

Here's to a year of intentional success. Grace be with you all.

3 comments:

Jeff Flowers said...

Good word AO dog. Let's keep each other encouraged my brother. You know me, I like your 100% success or 100% failure mindset. If you gonna crash, crash hard! But, you won't! You got the stuff dude.

Kevin Henry said...

Great goal. My good intentions often slip through my fingers. Any ideas on setting up for success?

AO said...

Kevin, the key I believe is first setting a realistic goal. Second, create accountability for yourself. Isolation leads to destruction. Get others involved. Lastly, practice, practice, practice.